Smogger Alley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Mucle Trucks or Ford Muscle cars, which do you prefer?

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ford Mucle Trucks or Ford Muscle cars, which do you prefer? Empty Ford Mucle Trucks or Ford Muscle cars, which do you prefer?

Post by willsunark26 Thu May 16, 2013 9:18 pm

so which is going to be?
willsunark26
willsunark26

Back to top Go down

Ford Mucle Trucks or Ford Muscle cars, which do you prefer? Empty Re: Ford Mucle Trucks or Ford Muscle cars, which do you prefer?

Post by TonySS Thu May 16, 2013 10:47 pm

I'll take a Ford Ranchero. A 1965 specifically.
TonySS
TonySS
Admin

https://smogger-alley.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Ford Mucle Trucks or Ford Muscle cars, which do you prefer? Empty Re: Ford Mucle Trucks or Ford Muscle cars, which do you prefer?

Post by willsunark26 Thu May 16, 2013 10:53 pm

im not a fan of them at all
willsunark26
willsunark26

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverickdan Thu May 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Ford never made a muscle truck (unless you count the lightning and harley f150), so every old ford truck with power added started out as grandpa's truck.
Maverickdan
Maverickdan

Back to top Go down

Post by TonySS Thu May 16, 2013 11:00 pm

Pretty much. I wasn't really going to discriminate against cars/trucks turned into hot rods/Muscle Cars/Muscle Trucks though.

In my opinion, though it may only be me, a modified grandpa car can be considered a "muscle car" if modified enough.

I wasn't going to use the classic definition of a muscle car having to come from the mid 60's to early 70's from the factory with a big V8 and racing stripes.

Last edited by TonySS on Thu May 16, 2013 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
TonySS
TonySS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willsunark26 Thu May 16, 2013 11:04 pm

didnt muscle cars come from the modifed grampas cars? harley davidson f150 lol is a sweet truck, but yeah tony you have a point there
willsunark26
willsunark26

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverickdan Thu May 16, 2013 11:05 pm

I don't really have a preference car over truck but I do love a bump side with an FE engine and 3 on the tree. Also one day my 95 f150 standard cab short bed will be boosted, lowered, and have upgraded braking.
Maverickdan
Maverickdan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverickdan Thu May 16, 2013 11:06 pm

willsunark26 wrote:didnt muscle cars come from the modifed grampas cars? harley davidson f150 lol is a sweet truck, but yeah tony you have a point there
Yes in a way but a true muscle car was modified by the factory not the owner.
Maverickdan
Maverickdan

Back to top Go down

Post by TonySS Thu May 16, 2013 11:07 pm

The truck you tow the maverick with? Your going to boost that too lol? f150's are nice lowered though.
TonySS
TonySS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverickdan Thu May 16, 2013 11:11 pm

TonySS wrote:The truck you tow the maverick with? Your going to boost that too lol? f150's are nice lowered though.
Yes the jeep is on the motor list first (4.6 stroker(maybe boosted too)) then mav, then take engine in mav (if it survives) rebuild and put in the f150 with a nice little 67mm turbo for a nice spool and flatter torque curve for a trucks use. I think I have an addiction to boost.
Maverickdan
Maverickdan

Back to top Go down

Post by TonySS Thu May 16, 2013 11:13 pm

Maverickdan wrote:
willsunark26 wrote:didnt muscle cars come from the modifed grampas cars? harley davidson f150 lol is a sweet truck, but yeah tony you have a point there
Yes in a way but a true muscle car was modified by the factory not the owner.

Agreed, and fair enough. But like I said, I didn't want to stick that closely to the definition of Muscle Car. Hot Rods, Muscle Cars, doesn't the only difference between them are that one was modified by the factory, and the other by an individual.

And yes Billy, your right, the first true muscle car was the GTO in 1964, and that's just a modified Lemans.
TonySS
TonySS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willsunark26 Fri May 17, 2013 12:07 am

lol i wwasnt sure thank you
willsunark26
willsunark26

Back to top Go down

Post by TonySS Fri May 17, 2013 12:18 am

Maverickdan wrote:
TonySS wrote:The truck you tow the maverick with? Your going to boost that too lol? f150's are nice lowered though.
Yes the jeep is on the motor list first (4.6 stroker(maybe boosted too)) then mav, then take engine in mav (if it survives) rebuild and put in the f150 with a nice little 67mm turbo for a nice spool and flatter torque curve for a trucks use. I think I have an addiction to boost.

Your definetly are addicted to boost.....

Wait, so your putting a new engine in the Mav, then taking it out to put in a dart block, then putting the old mav engine in the the truck, slapping on a new turbo. And your going to put a stroker engine in the Jeep and boosting that too.

Lol, Lots of plans there. Lots of money too. I assume your going to fabricate all the tubing and such for the truck and jeep too, and not buy some sort of kit?
TonySS
TonySS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverickdan Mon May 20, 2013 1:32 am

TonySS wrote:
Maverickdan wrote:

Your definetly are addicted to boost.....

Wait, so your putting a new engine in the Mav, then taking it out to put in a dart block, then putting the old mav engine in the the truck, slapping on a new turbo. And your going to put a stroker engine in the Jeep and boosting that too.

Lol, Lots of plans there. Lots of money too. I assume your going to fabricate all the tubing and such for the truck and jeep too, and not buy some sort of kit?
In order: yes, yes possibly a 5.3 ls, yes, and yes. All piping will be hand fabricated by me, nobody makes kits for any of my vehicles (I even had to make headers for the mav cause nothing ots would fit headers or manifolds). If they did I'd probably make it anyway cause I like putting stuff where I want it.
Maverickdan
Maverickdan

Back to top Go down

Post by TonySS Mon May 20, 2013 2:39 am

Your putting a Chevy engine in a ford!? Blasphemy! j/k.

The 5.3 is a good engine. You'll probably have to switch the intake manifold to one from a 98-02 LS1 or use a blow through carb setup though due to hood clearences. Unless you get cowl hood or continue to just not use a hood lol.

Just to let you know though, even for my car, a LSx swap is close to $5000 to do, going by my research.

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=820964

That thread has prices and a lot of it should be similar for you even if your car isn't a gbody or even a chevy. Actually, if Blue Knight could chime in and tell us what the swap cost him and what was involved to do it, that would be great.'

Because I'm also a bit curious about LS engine swaps.
TonySS
TonySS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Knight Mon May 20, 2013 9:10 am

My swap total was $5000. (including 1800 for car) Smile This was to go fuel injected. I spent $ 1000 to go carburated this winter.

I made my own engine and trans mounts. Modified my own engine harness (fuel injected)
The only trouble was finding the drivers side exhaust manifold (corvette).

It was all pretty straight forward with the hardest being the modifing of the harness.
Blue Knight
Blue Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Knight Mon May 20, 2013 9:13 am

Btw I used a truck pan (hangs low) and the fi truck intake will clear the factory hood (with trimming)
Blue Knight
Blue Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverickdan Mon May 20, 2013 6:02 pm

Should only cost me $2000, already have a good fuel system and computer that will run engine and ignition. $400 junk yard engine, rebuild one of dads turbo 350's $350, late model gto oil pan $200(?), shorten drive shaft $150,current turbo will work with 5.3, have a few friends that have spare ls1 intakes $200(?). And I have plenty of pipe left for another turbo set ip
Maverickdan
Maverickdan

Back to top Go down

Post by TonySS Mon May 20, 2013 9:05 pm

Blue Knight wrote:My swap total was $5000. (including 1800 for car) Smile This was to go fuel injected. I spent $ 1000 to go carburated this winter.

I made my own engine and trans mounts. Modified my own engine harness (fuel injected)
The only trouble was finding the drivers side exhaust manifold (corvette).

It was all pretty straight forward with the hardest being the modifing of the harness.

Do you have a parts list, and possibly a list of websites that you got your parts from? And the harness is pretty much what I was worried about when I looked into these swaps. It seems like it'd be a bit of a pain to modify it to work with a gbody.

About how much work was the swap to do? I've always liked the LS engines but the work involved in getting them to work with a Gbody, or rather, any car that did not come with one, seems extensive.

Blue Knight wrote:Btw I used a truck pan (hangs low) and the fi truck intake will clear the factory hood (with trimming)

Isn't that kind of unsafe? I heard that they hang incredibly low.

Maverickdan wrote:Should only cost me $2000, already have a good fuel system and computer that will run engine and ignition. $400 junk yard engine, rebuild one of dads turbo 350's $350, late model gto oil pan $200(?), shorten drive shaft $150,current turbo will work with 5.3, have a few friends that have spare ls1 intakes $200(?). And I have plenty of pipe left for another turbo set ip

If you need help finding any parts, I have a bunch of LS swap websites bookmarked. But it seems that Blue Knight managed to find a less expensive way to do the swap than I did.

And 2k? Hmm...

Well, I guess your dad does have some parts you could use to get the price down.

If you use a TH350, you'll need a special spacer for use between the transmission and the LS engine.
TonySS
TonySS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverickdan Mon May 20, 2013 10:23 pm

First part of this build comes in at under $3500 post #80, and he bought a new zr1 cam, this includes the price of the car.
http://www.theturboforums.com/threads/360606-82-Fairmont-5-3-zr1cam-80mm-4l80e-9-95-141!?p=1804469&highlight=build+cost#post1804469
Maverickdan
Maverickdan

Back to top Go down

Post by TonySS Mon May 20, 2013 10:42 pm

Wow, that goes right in line with what Blue Knight is saying. I want his build list. Because no matter how I tried I couldn't get it under 4500 on paper, even when cutting corners.
TonySS
TonySS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Knight Mon May 20, 2013 11:23 pm

Lt1swap.com (harness info)
Gm crank spacer
I kept the trans in the same position and made mounts for engine.

My biggest expence was the -8 feed and return, fuel filter, and bosch o44 pump.

Its quite simple when you think outside the box...

The pan was unsafe (started leaking) untill i put 26" tall tires up front Smile ( hits bumpstops first)
Blue Knight
Blue Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TonySS Tue May 21, 2013 2:12 am

I may actually make an LS swap thread with all of this LS swap talk.

TonySS
TonySS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Knight Tue May 21, 2013 4:22 am

Probally a good idea Smile Its not good for us chevy guys to rub the "ls" in the ford guys face.lol
Blue Knight
Blue Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TonySS Tue May 21, 2013 4:50 am

Lol.

But yea, the LSx thread is now up in the lounge.

we dragged this thread a bit too far off topic.
TonySS
TonySS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next